Thursday, October 28, 2010

CONCENTRATIONS.....ba, ba, buuum!

Now that you know how to edit your photos, get on it and get them done! We will be creating breadth webpages within the next couple of weeks for this first set of images. Yes, this probably means that you will have to find time outside of class to use the D-25 lab in the library. Just be sure to check with the librarian for appropriate times (so you don't disrupt other classes).

On another note, we will begin working on concentrations.
A concentration is a body of related works describing an in-depth exploration of a particular artistic concern. It should reflect a process of investigation of a specific visual idea. It is NOT a selection of a variety of works produced as solutions to class projects or a collection of works with differing intents. Students should be encouraged to explore a personal, central interest as intensively as possible and are free to work with any idea in any medium that addresses three-dimensional design issues. The concentration should grow out of the student’s idea and demonstrate growth and discovery through a number of conceptually related works. In this section, the evaluators are interested not only in the work presented but also in visual evidence of the student’s thinking, selected method of working, and development of the work over time.

Please actually click on this link: http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/members/exam/exam_questions/2135.html#name3
Be sure to look at all of the student samples for each of the categories. Try to understand why each of the samples were given the scores they were awarded. Have your sketchbook at hand while you are looking because you might have a fleeting thought on rationales for the scores or be struck with a moment of inspiration.

Become familiar with this website. It is your friend. Know your friend. Be one with your friend. We will be discussing your friend in class. Be prepared!

24 comments:

  1. thats a great link...i need to talk with you to explore some ideas for my concentration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went through like 8 of the concentrations and it helped me realize what can be done, and what has been done. I still have little idea on what I want to do, other then wheel thrown.

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The links to the examples were a great help in seeing the different concentrations one can chose, as well as the way they are scored!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the link is helping but i need to do a lot more research. i like all the examples.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's good to see examples of concentrations and how they are judged. good link!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, some of those were really awesome, i haven't seen full concentrations put together and that was cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Become one with you're friend". Nice

    ReplyDelete
  8. The idea of concentrations drives me crazy... I cannot decide what to do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ^Haley Fauvelle's concentration is in there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. a body of work should truly compliment itself, obviously fitting together like a family. This year i want to achieve this and have a respectable concentration

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'm super excited for concentrations! i'm not sure what i'm going to do yet, but i'll figure it out. i'm liking cups at the moment, so maybe i'll work on somthing around that

    ReplyDelete
  12. it is a good link. i am excited to start working on our concertraion soon!!!!! yayayaya -__-

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am excited to figured out what i want to concentrate on but.... I really have no idea what i should do!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a little stressed about figuring out my concentration. -_- This link is definitely helping me out though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was definitely helpful, it gave me a good understanding of what a high quality concentration would be and what i should think about in order to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not excited for concentrations...
    Geometrics/Lines?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I could understand why some of them got the high scores that they did, but there were some with lower scores where I just could not understand the rational. It has helped me better understand what they are looking for, but at the same time I still am a little confused at how the judges reason.

    ReplyDelete
  18. even with this site I am having so much trouble brainstorming ideas. I NEED HELP

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm struggling to find a concentration because im afraid i'll get sick of it by the end of the year!! but the link definitely helped me clear up what a concentration really means in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm pondering over my concentration but the link and examples are very helpful in narrowing down my options. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm really glad I finally got my concentration all figured out... its a relief. that link was super helpful. thanks amy!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really liked looking at other concentrations. It gave me a good idea as to what has already been done. It was nice to see that Haley was recognized.

    ReplyDelete